d o c
u m e
n t a
documenta
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
A b o u t
d o c u
m e n t a

About documenta

documenta Artists

All documenta artists can be accessed via the library catalogue: artists research

 

Alphabetical lists of the artists can be found here:

 

documenta 1

documenta 2

documenta 3

documenta 4

documenta 5

documenta 6

documenta 7

documenta 8

documenta 9

documenta 10

documenta 11

documenta 12

documenta 13

documenta 14

documenta Curators

Arnold Bode (d1-d4)

Roger Buergel (d12)

Carolyn Christov-​Bakargiev (d13)

Catherine David (d10)

Okwui Enwezor (d11)

Rudi Fuchs (d7)

Jan Hoet (d9)

Manfred Schneckenburger (d6, d8)

Harald Szeemann (d5)

Adam Szymczyk (d14)

documenta Venues

Aue Pavillon

In 2007 especially for documenta 12 , the French architects Anne Lacaton and Jean Philippe Vassal  built a one-story pavillion on the Karlswiese in front of the Orangerie. Built with a lightweight design, the structure was planned in the style of a modern-day crystal palace. With 9,500 square meters of exhibition space, it was the largest exhibition venue of this documenta. After the conclusion of documenta 12 , the structure was dismantled. Jimmie Durham dealt with this architecture in his contribution to documenta 13. 

 

Use: documenta 12, 13

AOK Building

The AOK Building was built in 1957 by the architect Konrad Proll as part of the peripheral construction bordering the Friedrichsplatz. A special architectural feature of the building is the curved, self-supporting stairway at the intersection between the two office wings. Max Neuhaus's sound installation "soundrooms" is located in this stairway. It was installed there in 1992 at documenta 9. 

 

Use: documenta 9

Bali Kinos 

In November 1995, the Bali Cinema (Bali-Kinos) was opened in the Kassel Central Station following extensive renovation of the former "Bahnhof Lichtspielen" which had been established in 1895. At documenta 10 and documenta11 in 1997 and 2002, the film program of the exhibitions together with various teaching presentations were presented at the Bali Cinema. documenta 13 also made intensive use of the Bali Cinema.

 

Use: documenta 10, 11, 13, 14 

Ballhaus

documenta 14

Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe (Wilhelmshöhe Park) 

On the eastern slope of the then-called Karlsberg, Landgrave Karl commissioned the architect Giovanni Francesco Guerniero to build the Hercules - Octogon,  the cascades and water displays in the Italian style from 1701-18. From 1766, the baroque park was extended and reshaped in the English garden style by Landgrave Friedrich II. The architect Johann Christian Heinrich Jussow   created the concept of architectural staffage structures which were integrated in the romantic park landscape. The court gardener August Daniel Schwarzkopf enhanced the park with over 400 different types of trees and shrubs and a rose island. Park Wilhelmshöhe, which is credited with being the largest hillside park in Europe, was first used in a documenta exhibition at documenta 12 in 2007. The Thai artist Sakarin Krue-On laid out rice terraces on the slope directly in front of the castle. Parallel to the flanks of the Hercules Cascades a monumental photo installation by Allan Sekula was also presented. In recognition of its significance and uniqueness, the Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2013.

 

Use: documenta 12  

Cine star

documenta 14

documenta Hall 

The documenta Hall was built in 1992 as the result of a nationwide design competition for documenta 9. The architects Jochem Jourdan and Bernhard Müller   from Frankfurt were the winners of the competition. The newly built structure is located at the end of the Friedrichsplatz. The sequence of rooms moves from the entry space through the so-called "Seitenlichthalle", the "Kabinette", the grand main hall to the "Appendix-Raum". The documenta Hall has been used as an exhibition space and a general purpose facility (Internet terminals, press center, discussion forum, cinema space, etc.) for the documenta exhibitions 9, 10, 11 and 12. During documenta 10 in 1997, the lecture and discussion forum "One Hundred Days, One Hundred Guests" also took place here.

 

Use: documenta 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Former Binding Brewery Kassel 

The artistic director of documenta 11, Okwui Enwezor, discovered the production facility of the Kassel Binding-Brauerei  for use as a documenta location. It had been closed down since 1999 and originally dated back to 1897. The Berlin architectural firm Kuehn Malvezzi undertook the renovation work for documenta 11 in 2002 and created a large- scale modular space system, which fulfilled all the demands of the so-called "White Cube." 

Use: documenta 11

Former tax office (Spohrstr. 7)

documenta 13

Elisabethspital, Untere Karlsstr. 14

documenta 13

Filmladen 

In 1981, the Filmladen Kassel e. V. ,growing out of a student film club, opened a cinema with the same name in Goethestraße. The basis of the work of the club is the operation of a local art house cinema that focuses on the medium of film as a critical and artistic form of expression. The " Kassel Documentary Film and Video Festival,"  which takes place annually, is a particularly noteworthy part of its activities on a national and international level.   During the documenta, reference is frequently made to the ongoing exhibition in the film offerings of the Filmladen. In 1992 and 1997, the Filmladen organized an open-air video festival as an accompanying program for documenta 9 and 10.

Friedrichsplatz 

Friedrichsplatz , which was designed by Simon Louis du Ry 1768-83 and is located directly in front of the Fridericianum Museum, originally had a principally representational function as a connecting element between the historical old city and the baroque Oberneustadt. The square, which is 340 x 112 meters in dimension, is one of the largest inner-city squares in Germany. Due to its prominent position it has been the site of various exhibit pieces since documenta 5 in 1972 to the present, with the exception of documenta 10. 

 

Use: documenta 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14

Gallery at the Schönen Aussicht / Old Gallery / New Gallery

The museum building that overlooks the Karlsaue park was built from 1871-74 in the Italian Neo-Renaissance style by the Klenze student Heinrich von Dehn-Rotfelser. Originally it contained the Landgrave's painting collection of Dutch Old Masters and was therefore called the "Old Gallery". After repair of damage suffered in World War II bombing, the museum was reopened in 1964 as the "Gallery at the Schönen Aussicht". Since 1976 it has had the name "New Gallery" and now contains the art of the 19th and 20th century of the   Museumslandschaft Hessen Kassel. During documenta 3 in 1964, the two-story building was the third central location for the exhibition in addition to the Fridericianum Museum and the Orangerie. Since that time it has frequently been used by the documenta.

 

Use: documenta 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12, 13, 14

Gedenkstätte Breitenau

documenta 13

Glass Pavilions on Kurt-Schumacher-Straße

documenta 14

Gloria Kino 

The Gloria Kino (Gloria Cinema) is Kassel's third largest movie theater. It was built in the 1950s and has retained characteristic architectural features of that period such as the distinctive curved floor plan. It is part of the group of Bali-Kinos which present international cinematic art. During documenta 12 in 2007, the official documenta film program was shown in the Gloria Cinema. documenta 13 also used the Gloria and the Bali Cinema in the Kulturbahnhof intensively.

 

Use: documenta 12, 13, 14

Grimmwelt

documenta 14

Handwerkskammer

documenta 13

Henschel-Hallen

documenta 14

Hessenland

documenta 13

Hessisches Landesmuseum

documenta 14

Hugenottenhaus

documenta 13

Karlsaue / Auepark 

The Karlsaue park was built in the period 1670-1730 under Landgrave Karl as a baroque park and later changed over to the English garden style. In 1955 and 1981 the Karlsaue park was the site of the   Bundesgartenschau, Germany's annual national garden show. Since documenta 2 in 1959, the entire Karlsaue park has repeatedly been included as part of the plans of documenta organizers. The grassy areas of the Orangerie grounds and the Karlsaue park were used more intensively at documenta 13 than ever before. Numerous artistic offerings were presented in different wooden houses distributed throughout the park grounds at substantial distances from one another. Other works – by artists such as Anri Sala, Pierre Huyghe and Carol Bove – were placed as sculptures, environments or installations.

 

Use: documenta 2-14; only limited use at documenta 5 and 7

 

KulturBahnhof / Central Station

Following the destruction that occurred in the Second World War, the Kassel Central Station was rebuilt in the style of the 1950s. As a common project of BaLi GmbH, Caricatura, Deutsche Bahn AG, and the departments of culture and building of the City of Kassel, a large part of the building was renovated and rebuilt by the architecture firms   crep D  and Architektengemeinschaft AIS (both from Kassel). The station was officially opened as the KulturBahnhof (Culture Station) in November 1995. In 1997 in the halls of the South Wing of the station exhibits from documenta 10 were shown, and in 2002 documenta 11 also made use of this space. During documenta 13 additional space in the North Wing of the station was rented and used by documenta artists as exhibit space.  

 

Use: documenta 10, 11, 13, 14

Kulturfabrik Salzmann 

This former factory building, which was built in 1905, is an important industrial monument in Hesse. Until 1971, the Salzmann Company was one of the largest weaving mills in the world. In 1987, the organization "Verein zur Förderung der Kulturfabrik Salzmann" rented three halls of the factory complex to present an alternative cultural program to documenta 8. During the documenta 9 and documenta 10 exhibitions, an accompanying program was staged in the Salzmann premises. The Spanish filmmaker Albert Serra filmed in the former offices of the Salzmann Factory for numerous days in connection with his film contribution to documenta 13.

 

Use: documenta 8, 9, 10, 13

Kulturhaus Dock 4 

Kulturhaus (Culture House) Dock 4 was established in 1990 in the building that formerly housed the Gerhart-Hauptmann School (built 1902/04). It serves as an all-purpose, interdisciplinary venue for Kassel's independent cultural scene, providing space for production, exhibition and performance. Since 1992, the artistic directors of the documenta together with the curator team and the press office have had their offices at Dock 4 during the time of the documenta exhibition.   At documenta 9 in 1992, various exhibits were shown in the building itself and on the building courtyard. The documenta Archive has been located on the ground floor of the building since 1989. The team of documenta 13 used the space at Dock 4 intensively for their communication program. With the historical orientation of documenta 13, more artists than ever before made use of the documenta Archive collections.

 

Use: documenta 9, 13 

Kulturzentrum Schlachthof (Schlachthof Culture Center) 

The Kulturzentrum Schlachthof e.V. (Schlachthof Culture Center) is located in a former slaughter house in Kassel-Nord. It was founded in 1976 as an "initiative to promote culture in the 'Nordstadt'" (the northern section of the city of Kassel). The Center's work encompasses a youth center, educational and social work for immigrants as well as a varied cultural program. The artistic directors of documenta 12 (2007) founded the so-called documenta Council in cooperation with the Schlachthof which should work at realizing the educational mission of the documenta as a form of civic involvement in the city of Kassel.   On the Schlachthof premises, video works by Hito Steyerl and Artur Zmijewski were also shown during documenta 12. 

 

Use: documenta 12, 14

Leder Meid

documenta 14

Fridericianum Museum

Since the first documenta in 1955, the Fridericianum has served as the central and principal exhibition space of the documenta. The Fridericianum Museum was built from 1769-79 on behalf of Landgrave Friedrich II by the architect Simon Louis du Ry in the early neo-classical style. The Fridericianum opened its collections in 1779 as the first public museum on the European continent serving broad segments of the general public. The art and antiquity collections of the landgrave together with a large library were located in the two-story structure. The right-hand wing of the building is joined to the so-called Zwehrenturm. In this medieval gate tower (Kassel's only one), an observatory was installed at the beginning of the 18th century; from the 3rd to the 11th documenta the various floors of the structure were also used as exhibition spaces. Following the extensive destruction that occurred in the Second World War, the building was reconstructed by the state of Hesse (completion in spring 1982).

 

Use: documenta 1-14

Museum für Sepulkralkultur

documenta 14

Neue Neue Galerie

documenta 14

Orangerie 

The Orangerie is located at the vanishing point of the various promenades and reflecting pools of the baroque park grounds of the Karlsaue park. The Orangerie was built by various architects including Giovanni Francesco Guerniero in the years 1701-10 under Landgrave Karl as a green house and summer residence. Almost completely destroyed in 1943, the ruins of the building were first used again in 1955 on the occasion of the German national garden show . In the 1970s the exterior of the building was restored, and since 1992 it has been the home of the Cabinet of Astronomy and Physics. In addition to the Fridericianum Museum. The Orangerie has served as the second traditional venue of the documenta since 1959.

 

Use: documenta 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14

Ottoneum  

The Ottoneum was built from1603-06 under Landgrave Moritz and was named after his oldest son. The building was the first fixed theater structure in Germany. Later it was converted under   Paul du Ry for the landgrave art collection. After this it was used for various purposes, including as an observatory. Today it is the location of the Kassel Natural History Museum. In 1992 the ground floor of the building was made available for use in documenta 9 for the first time. At documenta 10, the second and third floors of the building were also used for art exhibition purposes. documenta 13 also continued this tradition of cooperation, and a whole section of the exhibition was located there with the works of numerous artists including Mark Dion, Claire Pentecost and Maria-Thereza Alves being shown. In the stairway very evident traces of the drilling work done for the Vertical Earth Kilometer by Walter De Maria are still to be seen.

 

Use: documenta 9, 10, 13, 14

Bellevue Palace / Brothers Grimm Museum

The Bellevue Palace is located above the Karlsaue park across from the New Gallery. It was built in 1714 as an observatory by the architect Paul du Ry for Landgrave Karl. Today it houses the Brothers Grimm Museum . During documenta 2 (1959) graphics and book illustrations were shown there. At documenta 13, the artist Nedko Solakow showed work in the Brothers Grimm Museum.

 

Use: documenta 2, 13, 14

Renthof

From 1616-18 the three-winged construction of the Renthof was built at the site of a former Carmelite convent from the Middle Ages. Over the centuries, the building was used in many different ways – as a riding school, as state offices, as a university and as a court building. The Renthof, which is on the banks of the Fulda River, served as the main location for the extensive performance program of documenta 8. 

 

Use: documenta 8

Wilhelmshöhe Castle 

The Wilhelmshöhe Castle, located in Wilhelhmshöhe Park, which was named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2013, was built on behalf of Landgrave Wilhelm IX in the period 1786-98 according to the designs of the architects Simon Louis du Ry and Heinrich Christoph Jussow. After severe bombing damage during the Second World War, the castle was restored from 1968-74 by Paul-Friedrich Posenenske and the interiors were modernized for use as a museum space. Further renovations were undertaken in the period 1994-2000 by Stephan Braunfels. Since 1976 the castle has housed the Old Masters collection as well as the antiquity collection of the Museumslandschaft Hessen Kassel . In the 1960s leading up to documenta 3, Arnold Bode initiated a public discussion whether the Wilhelmshöhe Castle might not be permanently used for the documenta – a plan which was never realized. In the castle in 2007 at documenta 12, the works of the Old Masters collection were confronted with contemporary exhibits for the first time.

 

Use: documenta 12

Public urban spaces in Kassel 

Since documenta 5 in 1972, individual works for the documenta   (sculptures, installations, performances, happenings) have been presented on the streets and squares of Kassel, in shopping arcades and store windows, or in public institutions of the City of Kassel, as for example on the second central city square of Kassel, the Königsplatz (1766), at documenta 8 and documenta 9. At documenta 10 in 1997, a complete urban axis from the Kulturbahnhof over the Treppenstrasse and Friedrichsplatz and continuing to the the Karlsaue park was configured as a so-called "Exhibition Parcours". During documenta 12 in 2007, a sound installation by Kirill Preobrazhenskiy was staged in the city tram line number 4, which connects the southwestern and the eastern districts of the city. In the former working class neighborhood of the Friedrich-Wöhler Settlement , Thomas Hirschhorn created his temporary "Bataille-Monument" in 2002 for documenta 11. In the southwest of Kassel for documenta 7 in 1982, a model residential neighborhood under the name of "documenta urbana"  was set up by prominent architects in the tradition of the Hellerau Settlement and building exhibitions. The idea for such an action had been propagated by Arnold Bode, founder of the document, since 1955: a documenta exhibition which deals with design, planning and construction in addition to the art exhibition parts of the documenta.

 

Use: documenta 5 - 14

Stadtmuseum

documenta 14

Ständehaus

documenta 13

Temporary structures

Below the slope leading down to the Karlsaue park, temporary structures by the Belgian architects Paul Robbrecht and Hilde Daem were set up for the time of documenta 9 . They formed a spatial continuum to the park. The containers placed on stilts presented documenta works and at the same time allowed a view into the surrounding natural environment through their large glass panels. The exhibition structures set up in the Aue Park for documenta 12 ,and commonly referred to by the public as the green houses, as well as the wooden structures (placed mostly in the park) for documenta 13 were also conceived as an entirely temporary form of architecture.  

 

Use: documenta 9, 12, 13

Tofufabrik

documenta 14

Torwache

documenta 14

University (Gießhaus, Gottschalk-Halle, Kunsthochschule)

documenta 14

Weinberg

documenta 13

documenta Websites

The websites of the documenta exhibitions 10 to 14 are still available today and provide a useful basis for scholarly research. Due to copyright regulations, some of the original works had to be removed. A list of historical websites can be found here.

 

Artworks in Situ

You will experience the documenta outdoor artworks remaining in the public space of the city of Kassel in these three parcours.